Search Site
Family Law FAQ

Get the answers from experienced Middleboro lawyers

Our Plymouth lawyers at the Studley Law Offices have 38 years of combined experience in family law and divorce matters. Read our responses to frequently asked questions about your rights in family law courts and at that time contact us to discuss your case.

Learn more about resolving your family law case from experienced Middleboro attorneys

To get the answers to your family law and divorce questions in Middleboro, Massachusetts and the surrounding areas, contact the Studley Law Offices today. Call 508-923-7207 or 800-640-2889 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.


Do I have the right to keep the property I owned before I got married?

You have the right to keep personal property not part of your marital assets. However, your spouse may have the right to individual property that you comingled with marital property.

Why should I consider divorce mediation?

Mediation often expedites the process, reduces expenses, diminishes the stress of divorce and gives you more control over the outcome.

My spouse is determined to win custody even though I have been the primary caregiver. Should I go to divorce trial?

Although mediation offers a positive alternative in some cases, settlement is not an option in many divorces. If your spouse refuses to agree to equitable settlement terms, our lawyers in Plymouth are prepared to take your case to trial.

Are my spouse and I required to disclose all of our assets during our divorce?

During the discovery stage, you and your spouse typically must file a financial affidavit with the court that lists your property and the value of your assets.

Will the Massachusetts Alimony Reform Laws affect my rights during divorce from my spouse of 20 years?

The alimony reform statutes set guidelines for the months a former spouse can be ordered to pay alimony based on the length of the marriage. The percentage increases with the number of years of marriage up to 20 years, at which point the regulations cease to apply.

Back to top

Can I move out of Massachusetts with my child if I am the custodial parent?

You must seek permission from the court to remove your child from Massachusetts if the other parent lives in the state. You have the opportunity to present evidence to the court regarding why the move is in your child’s best interest. The noncustodial parent has the opportunity to object to the move.

I have lost my job and can no longer afford my child support payments. Am I allowed to discontinue my payments or reduce the amount?

You must continue paying child support until you obtain a court order that amends your current order. Our Taunton lawyer can assist you in applying for a modification of your child support order based on your changed circumstances.

What is the role of a guardian ad litem?

A guardian ad litem represents a child’s best interest during court hearings — such as in disputed custody or estate cases.

If I legally prove my paternity, am I automatically granted visitation with my child?

You are not automatically granted visitation rights upon acknowledging your paternity or after receiving a court order declaring you the father. Our team can help you petition the court for visitation. If you are the mother, we can request a child support order.

Back to top

Where can I learn more about resolving my family law issues?

Learn more about resolving your family law issues by calling the Studley Law Offices at 508-923-7207 or 800-640-2889 or contacting us online to schedule an appointment. We serve clients throughout Middleboro, Lake Ville, Taunton, Bridgewater, East Bridgewater, Raynham and Plymouth.

  • "John Studley helped me thru a very difficult time in my life. He explained everything to me and made me feel independent in my decisions. He got me more than I expected. Thanks to You and your team." - Diane - December 9, 2016

  • "I completely agree with a prior reviewer...a complete class act! He is highly efficient, extremely knowledgeable, personable, totally professional, highly successful and very entertaining. I have dealt with Atty. Studley on a few matters over the course of 12 years and he (and his staff!) have consistently provided the time and means to successfully litigate my cases/issues. I was fortunate enough that he was referred to me and I have had absolutely no regrets. If you're looking for the best, he's the person to hire." - L - December 1, 2016

  • "Posted by Michelle September 16, 2015 John Studley is a true class act. I have been a client of his since 2008. He puts the needs of the child first and foremost. He is direct and honest with his clients in a compassionate manner. I would highly recommend Studley Law Offices. I have great faith in John, Sandy and the rest of the team and I remain truly greatful for all of their hard work." - Michelle - September 16, 2015

  • "Attorney Studley and his staff are exceptional! They all are very professional, courteous, efficient and empathetic for our case. Attorney Studley knew the "ins and outs" of the laws and was able to implement them in our case. He was always available to us in a timely manner. He explained various situations and avenues we needed to explore. He provided us with the information we needed to move forward in our case. Attorney Studley was always prepared for any situation in court. He even had copies of documents that the judge did not have available to him during court proceedings. We have already recommended him to a fellow grandparent and would do so again." - Bev - August 31, 2015

  • "John Studley is very professional. I would highly recommend him to anyone who needs a lawyer. He kept me informed by promptly responding to my emails and phone calls." - Roger - January 31, 2015

  • "John and his staff were very professional from the beginning. He is very persistent and thorough. My case took over a year to settle but his staff had to do a lot of research. They constantly kept me in the loop as to how the case was progressing. I would not hesitate to use his services again." - Ron - August 21, 2014

  • "John helped my family in a difficult child custody case. His excellent work was instrumental in saving my granddaughters from ongoing physical and mental abuse." - Tom - August 12, 2014

  • "This was my first experience dealing with a lawyer. I found John Studley to be very professional in dealing with my case. He explained everything to me in detail and his knowledge of the law reassured me that my case was justified. I had complete trust in him as he was confident and I would highly recommend him to any person in need a lawyer. John dealt with my personal injury case. He set up appointments with Doctors, Neurologists and Physical therapists for me. He and his team were very responsive in returning my phone calls and communicated all correspondence in this matter. He showed a compassion for my health and well being during a difficult time in my life. He was instrumental in facilitating a fair settlement in my case." - Brian - February 21, 2014

  • "John Studley has been my attorney for over 20 years and has never disappointed me. He is, in my opinion the best lawyer you could have. Rest assured that if you have Attorney Studley for your lawyer he will definitelyl do the best that he can do for you. He definitely is a cut above the rest..." - Edna - February 11, 2014



10.0John E Studley Jr John E Studley JrClients’ ChoiceAward 2014 John E Studley JrReviewsout of 11 reviews


Through our attorneys' unwavering dedication, The Studley Law Offices has achieved successful results on behalf of many of our clients. Please read more about some of the verdicts and settlements of which we are most proud.
Meet Our Firm
Contact us

Quick Contact Form